Friday, April 24, 2009

Cappidocia

Day 18 - Canyon View Hotel was once a church in a cave. Now it is a gorgeous pension in Cappidocia.
Our room is also a warm cozy cave.
Up at 5 A.M. to experience our hot air balloon ride over a surreal landscape.......
preparing to take off.

Over 30 balloons drift over the surreal landscape... We drift just over the tops of volcanic columns and trees.
Something right out of a SCI - FI movie! Scenes from this area were actually used in the original Star Wars Movie.

We land and they crack open the bottle of champagne (we have orange juice).
A great experience as you can tell from Jan's smile.

3 comments:

Melanie Mehrer said...

Cannot wait to hear about this balloon adventure! Looks fabulous! And how cool that there were so many other balloons in the sky at the same time. You just out-Turkeyed me, Webbs! ; )

I also think you can really put the religious history together with the places and you'd get much more out of it than the average person. I admit after Cappadoccia and the holy places in Egypt I bought an Idiots guide to the Bible. I've hauled it to several countries with the idea to read it and now you've just inspired me to go find it again. ; )

Melanie Mehrer said...

Oh yes- and I love the hotel! ; )

René said...

I had a Magnum today in your honor. ;-) Miss your updates, hope your computer gets well soon!