Friday, February 27, 2009

Golden Temple and much more


Golden Temple - Amritsar, North India right on the Pakistan border. The 4 arches from each side of the temple welcome all faiths and casts.
When you are traveling tea time is much appreciated the masala tea is delicious. I think is has replaced Starbucks!
We traveled the foothills of the Himalayan Mountains to Kasauli , a small village were Jovan, Zafar's sister attends a private catholic school.
Viewing Hindu Temples and surrounding districts were much of our days as we experienced the agriculture area of India.

India is thankful to the British for two things: the canals they built and the railway system.

Building in India is everywhere the country is booming. This is a new culture centre.

Most of the work is done by cheap labour!

Sad (because of the discrimination) but women are best workers and the cheapest.

2 comments:

Melanie Mehrer said...

Hi Webbs!

You may not remember me, but I was a friend of Chad's in high school.

James Morley gave me your blog site to check out and I am loving your adventure! I also love India- I've spent a total of five months there.

Anyway, I read you might be coming through Turkey, and I currently live in Istanbul, in Sultanahmet near the Hagia Sophia to be somewhat exact! Please let me know if you need anything while you are here.

In the meantime, please enjoy the adventure! I suspect if you are off to Sharm al Sheik, you are planning to climb Mount Sinai. If you do, try to go on a Thursday night, even though everyone will tell you not to.

The reason for this is that they will tell you St. Catharine's monastery will be closed on Fridays, which it technically is, but if you wait at the side door they will let you in and you can have the run of the place. Other days you will fight a serious crowd.

If you can, hire your own guide and ask them to take you up the back way and not the camel trail. It's the difference between taking a back road (where the bedouins will invite you for sweet mint tea) and taking a highway (blech.) I've done both ways. Anyway, please let me know if you need anything! And enjoy your adventure!

Melanie Mehrer

Ralph & Janet said...

Melanie
We would love to talk with you about Istanbul! Your e-mail address is blocked please contact us at webbral@yahoo.com.